Thursday, March 2, 2017

Assessment or Survey Tools

My "go-to" survey tool for at least the last 10 years has been Google Forms.  Google Forms has helped me to quickly create pre-assessment surveys I can use to collect data from students.  This data can then be used to adjust my instructional strategies and some design elements of course assignments and projects.  For example, if I know my learners have access to mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones, I can implement creative instructional strategies such as a survey that is completed live during one of our synchronous web conferencing sessions, students can reply to threaded discussion postings through the Canvas app for Android and iOS devices, any short quizzes or polls can also be completed synchronously or asynchronously, and much more.  There are several advantages of using Google Forms.
  • It's free.
  • Forms can be shared and used to collect data outside the learning management system.
  • The graphical user interface (GUI) makes Google Forms easy to use and having surveys, general forms, and short quizzes up in running in no time.
Some of the drawbacks to using Google Forms include:
  • Faculty and students are not likely to have official on-campus technical support for any Google applications including Forms. 
  • Limited abilities to format text.
  • File uploads are not supported.
  • Google Forms can be easily be shared to anyone so monitoring received data and sharing options is a must.
The embedded Google Form below is what I use to pre-assess my students on the technologies they have access to while enrolled in my MIS 1305 course.  You will notice that I have a number of questions regarding social media, mobile devices, and understanding of several Microsoft Office applications we use in 1305.


Other survey and/or quiz options including, but not limited to Survey Monkey, Poll Anywhere, the LMS's built-in survey/quiz tools, and Qualtrics.

No comments:

Post a Comment